Sunday, we began a new sermon series for August we're simply calling "5 Pastoral Prayers". These are five foundational things we long to see become realities in our lives and in the life of our congregation.
The first prayer is that we would find our ultimate joy and satisfaction in Jesus Christ alone. It sounds simple, but if you've lived a while, you know that it can be a battle. God promises fullness of joy to his children, and so often He brings joy to us without our ever asking. But other times, we have to fight for joy. So many things in us and in this world compete for our affections and rob us of our joy. Below are a few ways to pursue joy in Christ: Yet, the scriptures are clear that God's desire is for us to have joy both now and especially in the life to come. Here are a few practical ways to pursue joy in Christ:
· Thank God for his unceasing and steadfast love.
· Thank the Lord for all the blessings that are yours in Christ: forgiveness, reconciliation, adoption…
· Thank Him for all the blessings you have in this life.
· Thank God for His past faithfulness to you.
· Thank Him for His work in you to make you more like Christ.
· Thank the Lord that He will never turn away from doing good to you.
· Praise God for his mercy and grace in saving you through the cross of Christ.
· Praise God for who He is: His love, wisdom, power, sovereignty, patience, kindness…
· Praise Jesus for being a compassionate high priest who intercedes for you.
· Contemplate the joys of heaven and the world to come.
· Seek God’s presence in prayer.
· Give to those who are less fortunate than you.
· Give toward the work of the Kingdom.
· Serve others who have needs.
· Confess your sins to God and ask him to restore the joy of your salvation.
· Ask Jesus to fill you with his own joy.
· Ask others to pray for God to fill you with joy.
· Ask the Holy Spirit to produce the fruit of joy in you.
· Read the Word – it produces joy.
· Memorize God’s promises to give you joy and ask him to fulfill them.
Some of the content for this post was originally posted by our friends at theblazingcenter.com