Join us for a weekend of fun!
Our fourth annual church wide camping trip is just around the corner! This year, we will camp together at Lake Powhatan's Hard Times Loop. Located just minutes from downtown Asheville, Lake Powhatan has something for everyone. The campground is situated in a heavily wooded area on the banks of Lake Powhatan. The elevation is 2,200 feet. The surrounding land boasts mile-high peaks, cascading waterfalls and slopes thickly forested with hardwoods and conifers.
While there, you'll have a number of different activities to choose from. Kids love the lake's sandy swimming beach and anglers enjoy the calm waters for trout fishing. The forest is known for its hiking and mountain biking trails, several of which are located near the campground.
The shaded, private campsites are organized into four loops, all within walking distance of the lake. The facility provides picnic tables, tent pads, lantern posts and campfire rings with grills, in addition to restrooms with hot showers and flush toilets. A few sites have full hookups. Campers can purchase ice and firewood.
The cost for the weekend is $12/person. Children 2 years & younger are free. Registration is now closed, but still plan on joining us for the weekend fun!
Schedule of Activities
Friday the 1st:
4pm - Campground check-in
Saturday the 2nd:
All day - enjoy the swimming at the lake, hiking various trails, fishing and more!
6pm – Potluck Dinner
- Bring a dish to share and your camp chairs/picnic blanket. MDC will provide plates, napkins, and utensils.
7pm - Marshmallow Roast
- MDC will provide s'mores supplies
Sunday the 3rd:
10am – Worship Gathering
- Join us at the lake. Bring your camp chairs/picnic blankets and Bibles.
- Even if you're not planning to camp with us, we invite you to join us for church Sunday morning. There is a $2 fee to enter the campground on Sundays. We encourage people to carpool! *Tell the gate your with Missio Dei for our Sunday Worship Gathering and enter for FREE!*
12pm – Campground check-out
- Ice and firewood are provided at the camp for $5.00 each. Bringing your own firewood is not permitted.
- Quiet hours are from 10pm-8am.
- Limit 8 people and 2 vehicles per site. We recommend signing up with 8 people.
- Swimming area open from 10am-8pm.
- Gate closes at 10pm, opens at 7am.
- No boats allowed on lake.
Click HERE to view the full rule sheet and camp map.
Parking, Directions & Site Information
375 Wesley Branch Rd, Asheville, NC 28806
Take I-240 W/I-26 E toward I-40
Continue to follow I-26 E
Take exit 33 for NC-191 toward Blue Ridge Parkway
Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto NC-191 S/Brevard Rd
Turn right onto Bent Creek Ranch Rd
Slight left onto Wesley Branch Rd
Keep right to continue on Bent Creek Gap Rd
Destination will be on the left
Only 2 vehicles are allowed per site. We encourage you to carpool if possible. There is a daily $5 extra vehicle fee collected upon arrival if more than 2 cars are found at your site.
What should you bring?
- camp chairs
- camp stove
- plates, utensils and cups
- trash bags
- tennis shoes
- bug repellent
- yard & beach games
- fishing pole & permit
*You are responsible for bringing your own food and drinks for each meal. We will have a potluck dinner on Saturday evening. Please bring a dish to share for this event. MDC will provide paper products and drinks for this event only. We will also have a marshmallow roast after the potluck!
Showers are available on-site.